1. What made you decide to have wls surgery?
I’d become someone I wouldn’t want to be around. Very negative, always snappy at my family, always putting myself down like it was funny. I was on a downward spiral mentally and physically.
2. What was your weight prior to your WLS, and... What’s the goal?
My highest weight was 113kgs and my goal was to get down to 65-70kgs
3. Did you get to the weight you wanted?
I’m currently sitting at around 74 but I’m feeling amazing and I’m a completely different person not only outside but inside as well.
4. How do you feel now that you have had the surgery?
I feel incredible! I’m always so positive and self-confident, I make friends so much easier now that I’m comfortable in my own skin. I’m just generally a better person to around in every way.
5. Were there any problems along the way?
None thank goodness, I’ve had a dream run right from surgery.
6. Would you do it again now that you know what you know?
Absolutely! 100%! The surgery saved my mentally and quite possibly also lengthened my life as well!
7. What are some of the inspiring things you can think of that you have noticed along the way?
I’ve realized that my attitude towards my weight and the way I felt in my skin held me back beyond anything I actually realized at the time. I feel free to be anyone I want to be now, it’s very empowering.
8. Did you have some happy unexpected surprises?
Lots of little ones along the way.
9. What advice do you have for anyone preparing for surgery?
Only make the decision if you can deal with the fact that food will no longer rule your life. Food after surgery needs to be thought of as fuel for your body in order for you to ensure you are getting everything you need. Don’t think that you can cheat the system or you’ll end up right back where you began in time. Use your surgery as a tool not an outright solution.
10. What is the one very best thing that has resulted from your surgery? What has been the hardest part of your journey?
The very best thing is definitely my family life. I’m now an active mum who can keep up with my kids and enjoy time with them doing fun, active things. I’m not snappy and depressed and my relationship with my partner has never been better. He loves seeing me so happy in myself.
The worst thing was definitely the first few weeks. It felt like I was going to be in pain every time I ate or drank forever. Luckily it’s all just part of the amazing life-changing process.