1. What made you decide to have wls surgery?
Initially I got a band in order to lose weight for hernia surgery. I wasn’t very successful with weight loss and really struggled with food getting stuck so I had it removed after 5 years. I regained all of the weight I lost and then a lot more so decided to move forward with the sleeve.
2. What was your weight prior to your WLS, and... What’s the goal?
I was nearing 160kg…. Goal weight is variable, anywhere between 75-90kg would be great but aiming for 80-85kg.
3. Did you get to the weight you wanted?
Not yet. I plateaued after 12 months and then I resumed bad habits and regained some weight when my husband was diagnosed with cancer and went through treatment (and COVID hit 6 months into treatment!)
4. How do you feel now that you have had the surgery?
Fantastic! Even though I’m 3.5 years post surgery and haven’t reached my goal weight, I’m happier, healthier, fitter and more motivated and know that I’ll reach my goal weight in time.
5. Were there any problems along the way?
Nothing that I didn’t cause by returning to my bad habits
6. Would you do it again now that you know what you know?
Absolutely! Of course, I would have skipped the band and gone straight for the sleeve, it hindsight is 20/20.
7. What are some of the inspiring things you can think of that you have noticed along the way?
People’s willingness to share things that are embarrassing and/or shameful to help motive others.
8. Did you have some happy unexpected surprises?
The amazing WLS community
9. What advice do you have for anyone preparing for surgery?
Every step of the way is challenging - admitting you have a problem, seeking help, the pre-surgery diet, the recovery, relearning how to eat - it’s all tough, but absolutely worth it!
10. What is the one very best thing that has resulted from your surgery? What has been the hardest part of your journey?
The best thing - I have my quality of life back and I know I’m going to be around to watch my kids grow up and have kids of their own. The hardest part - learning that wls really is just one part of the solution and that it’s very easy to fall back into bad habits.